- University of Alberta – 1990
- Bachelor of Arts Degree
- Mediation Services, Alberta Municipal Affairs – 2003
- Certificate – Resolving Conflict Collaboratively
Previous Synergy and Related Experience
- Executive Director, Synergy Alberta 2006 – 2017
- Reporting to the Board of Directors, responsible for forming Synergy Alberta Society. Synergy Alberta then grew from a concept to a formal network of 38 member groups.
- Responsible for attending and supporting synergy groups through planning, organizational and facilitation support.
- Facilitated strategic planning initiatives at an individual synergy group level, including mature synergy groups, like Sundre Petroleum Operators Group (SPOG) in 2010 and new initiatives like Wapiti Area Synergy Partnership (WASP) in 2017.
- Coordinated Synergy Alberta’s facilitator team, including provision of professional development opportunities.
- Liaised with Federal and Provincial governments, including as Synergy Alberta’s committee representative with the Canadian Association Of Petroleum Producers (CAPP), National Energy Board (now Canadian Energy Regulator – CER), Alberta Energy Regulator (AER) and ILOR (Industry – Land Owner Relations)
- Managed the development of toolkits and guides for the development of new and existing synergy groups.
- International Red Cross, Participatory Community Development, former-Yugoslavia, 2000
- After action review process for Wabamun Lake Train Derailment, 2005
- Beaver Hills Initiative (UNESCO Biosphere in Alberta), Stakeholder Consultation and Strategic Planning, 2016
Previous Other Experience
- Principal of consulting firm that has provided services to more than 50 clients in public, private and not-for-profit sector in emergency and environmental management.
- Executive Director of several Alberta not-for-profit organizations:
- Alberta Capital Airshed Society
- Canadian Red Cross (Central and Northern Alberta)
- Capital Region Emergency Preparedness Partnership
- Strathcona Industrial Association
- West Central Airshed Society
- Chair, NAIT Emergency Management Diploma Program Advisory Board
- President, Disaster Forum Association
- Leading a diverse group through collaborative processes
- Identifying community issues and facilitating resolution
- Strategic planning
- Public engagement
- Background in emergency and environmental management
Personal Value Statement
“I am passionate about effective multi-stakeholder collaboration and believe that effective synergy processes ought to go beyond simply sharing information and be a conduit to identifying and resolving local, community issues resulting from resource development”