- Synergy Groups
- About Us
- Quick Links
The Balzac Community Advisory Panel “BalCAP” is a community-based focus group of community, government and industry representatives who meet monthly at the Balzac Community Hall to discuss community events and actions that impact or have the potential to impact the east Balzac area.
The purpose of the Balzac Community Advisory Panel is to provide a forum for open, honest and transparent communication, on-going dialogue and timely discussion of issues related to existing and proposed development and operations in the Balzac and surrounding area.
- Ensure that the Balzac community and surrounding area receive timely, relevant and appropriate information on both on-going and future petroleum industry operations and other development in the area.
- Provide participants the opportunity to participate constructively, meaningfully and openly in discussions and decision-making on concerns and issues that affect the community.
- Work collaboratively to identify and address community issues, concerns and opportunities and implement activities that will enhance the quality of life in the community.
- Create awareness of the potential impacts and risks of industrial operations and provide the community with an understanding of industry’s capabilities to protect both the community and the environment.
- Communicate with the broader community with regard to the mission and activities of this Community Advisory Panel.
- Contribute to the development of positive long-term relationships among the community, government and local industry.
Membership is open to everyone and actively encouraged by the group. We are financially supported by our industry members enabling all community residents and government representatives to participate free of charge.
If you would like more information on BalCAP or are interested in attending a BalCAP meeting, please e-mail: BalCAP@synergyalberta.ca
BalCAP held its first meeting in December 2005 and since its inception, group members and guest speakers have given presentations on a variety of topics, including:
- Emergency Response Planning
- Health Effects and Sour Gas
- Sheltering in Place
- Air Quality Monitoring
- Balzac Development and the East Balzac Area Structure Plan
- Water Use in the Area
- Alberta Infrastructure and Transportation Projects
- AEUB Public Safety and Regulatory Setbacks
- United Horsemen of Alberta Development
- CrossIron Mills
Industry and municipal representatives provide monthly updates on their current and planned operations.
The goal of these meetings is to provide members an opportunity to receive information and updates on new projects, operations and events including area development planning, new facilities, conferences, public meetings and reclamation projects in the Balzac area.
Meetings are open to the public and new committee members are welcome.
Meetings are held on Tuesday evenings from 7:00 - 9:00 p.m. at the Balzac Community Hall.
Balcap 2012 Meeting Dates [Download]
- ERCB - Answering Questions about Our Energy Resources (Cole Thomson - November)
- Calgary Regional Airshed Zone - (Jill Bloor - November)
- Nexen Balzac Plant & Field Update - (Andrew Hamilton - September)
- Synergy Alberta - A made in Alberta Success Story (Gary Redmond - April)
- EXPX Energy Services. - Emergency Preparedness (Brenda Gray - January)
- Nexen Inc. - Are you Prepared? (Mike Dingle - January)
- City of Calgary: Lightning Strikes (Deidre Macht - November)
- Nexen Inc.: Reliability Initiatives for Plant Closure (Doug Wallace - November)
- Airdrie Economic Development - (Kent Rupert - September)
- Canada Post - (Marc Baron - June)
- CPR: Operating in your Community (Rick Poznikoff - June)
- Calgary Airport Authority - (Doug Reid - May)
- Nexen Balzac Gas Plant Closure Announcement (Ray Rowland - April)
- Wind Power Overview (Justin Thompson, Joss Wind - March)
- Alberta LUF Regional Planning and Land Stewardship Act (Charlotte Moran - February)
- Nexen Balzac A & R Overview (Todd Jorgensen-Nelson, Mike Samis - January)
- Nexen Balzac Gas Plant (Todd Jorgensen-Nelson, Mike Samis - January)
- Balzac Sulphur Slater Remediation & Enersul Ditch Upgrade Part A (Lawrence Tulissi P.Ag. - January)
- Balzac Sulphur Slater Remediation & Enersul Ditch Upgrade Part B (Lawrence Tulissi P.Ag. - January)
- Nexen Inc. - Responsible Care (Ray Rowland - January)
- Farmers' Advocate Office - Overview (Jim Kiss - February)
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency - Overview (Wayne Shuttleworth - February)
- Calgary Airport Authority - Airport Planning Update (Doug Reid - March)
- AUC - Regulating Alberta's Utilities (Don Popwich/PatWickel - April)
- Alberta Electric System Operator (AESO) - (Warren Frost - April)
- Rocky View Campus - Balzac East (John Rusling - September)
- CRP Presentation to Balzac (Rick Butler - October)
- ERCB - Directive 71 FAQ's (Susan MacDonald - November)
- Synergy Conference - Overview (Wayne Shuttleworth - November)
- National Energy Board - Landowner Information (L.Patterson/S. Berthelet - November)
- North Calgary Planning Areas - (Allison Chan - January)
- Alberta Infrastructure and Transportation - Calgary Ring Road Project (Garry Lamb, P. Eng. - March)
- TransCanada Pipelines - Overview (Patricia Poulton - March)
- MD of Rocky View - Transportation Road Network (Byron Reimann - March)
- Enmax Energy - Enmax Energy Centre (Roy Hansen - April)
- Nexen Inc. - Emergency Response Plan (Mike Rydl - April)
- County of Rockyview - Fire Station #72 (Wayne Brown - May)
- Nexen Inc. - Balzac Complex Update (Bob Simpson - May)
- ERCB - Directive 71 Overview (Susan MacDonald - September)
- Nexen Inc. - Balzac Complex Update (B.Simpson/M.Rydl/T.Jorgensen-Nelson - September)
- Alberta Construction Safety Association - Overview (Glen Leddy - October)
- Rocky View Fire Service - Fire Prevention (Joshua Bezanson - October)
- Nexen Inc. - Air Emissions and the Balzac Gas Plant (Claire Serdula - November)
- Emission Reduction Efficiency(Jason Grundler, P. Eng. - November)
- Ivanhoe Cambridge - Cross Iron Mills Mall (John Scott - December)
- Enersul - Overview (Rick Jones - December)
- Annual Event "Futurescape '08: The Changing Face of Our Community"
May 31, 2008, Balzac Community Hall
- Emergency Preparedness at the December 2007 Meeting
Robert Cote, Assistant Chief Training Officer, MD of Rocky View and Mike Rydl of Nexen Inc. chat about emergency preparedness at BalCAP's December meeting.
- Lorie Pesowski at the December 2007 Meeting
Lorie Pesowski, MD of Rocky View, gave a presentation on proposed development at the December 2007 meeting.
- BalCAP Second Anniversary Celebration
Kim Currie, EnCana Corporation (far left) and Fiona Buchanan, Nexen Inc. (far right) recognize Eve and Dave Lantz (community) for their volunteer commitment during BalCAP's 2nd anniversary celebration.